Homework tips for school parents are great to find, especially at the beginning of the school year, when establishing routines is easiest for both parents and kids. Many thanks to Claire Haas, VP of Education for Kiddie Academy, for this great idea of creating a “homework bin” to keep materials organized and nearby. We do keep a plastic bin, easily accessible for all, in our pantry, so everyone can find school supplies, protractors, etc., rather than digging through tons of drawers. Admitting it here…as organized as I like to be, I struggle like everyone with the mountains of “stuff” we all collect.
Haas advises, “Parents can help their kids start the year off right by establishing a homework routine. Designate a space that is quiet, well lit and free from distractions, and use that same spot every day.”
How to Create a Homework Bin
1. Designate a specific basket or tote as the Homework Bin
2. Label the bin so everyone knows what it’s for
3. Keep it handy, near the designated homework spot
4. When homework is done, return all materials to the bin each day
5. Resist temptation to use these materials for other crafts – keep it ready
6. Explain the concept to your family
7. Restock the bin as necessary
Editor’s Note: Great ideas – thanks to Claire for this guest post! I’m a huge believer in routine, and we’ve published lots of stories and free charts to help parents stay organized at home in this important department – school & homework.