Thanks to Cumberland Farms for compiling these quick ways to save cash.
- Unplug your appliances! Even in standby mode you spend about $100/year. Keep the cash!
- Wash your clothes in cold water! You’ll save money on your electric bill.
- Get organized! When you know where everything is, you avoid late fees or spending extra money to replace lost items.
- Trade and borrow with your friends – what’s “new to you” can save you major dough!
- Track every cent you spend for one month – this eye opening exercise can help you spend less!
- Heat rises – use ceiling fans to help keep the heat in your home circulating and you can turn down the thermostat a few degrees.
- Buy generic whenever possible – your family won’t notice the difference, and you can save a lot of cash!
- Many auto insurance carriers provide discounts if you pay annually instead of monthly – ask yours!
- When flying, bring your own snacks to save on last minute “necessities.”
- Who doesn’t love a mountain man? Encourage hubby to grow a beard and you’ll save a ton on razors! (Editor’s note – this one is hysterical…definitely a little tongue in cheek, huh?!)
- Change your print quality to “draft” mode – it uses less ink.
- Regularly clean the coils behind your home’s refrigerator – a clean coil uses less energy!
- Keep your freezer full – it’ll take less energy to keep it cold.
- Prep your clothes for laundry by closing zippers, buttoning buttons or turning them inside out so they last longer!
- Lower the thermostat on your water heater to 120 degrees to cut back on heat loss – you could save hundreds a year!
Editor’s Note: These are great ideas…and easy/quick to implement. I checked out Cumberland Farms’ site to see why they were interested in the subject of savings, and see that they offer a fuel discount (10 cents/gallon) – on their SmartPay Check-Link TM program. Interesting…check it out…
What savings tips can you add to this list?