For many new parents, the legal world is foreign, confusing and expensive. However, there are certain things that should be considered. I am not a lawyer, so these are only tips I’ve found helpful. You need to consult an attorney for anything specific – laws vary by state and change constantly.
Here are questions you may ask an attorney before engaging services:
- What kind of experience/specialty do you have?
- What kind of response time should we expect when we call with questions?
- What are your billing rates? Will your services be based upon a fixed fee for the project or hourly?
- Will I be billed monthly or upon completion of the project?
- How does the process work from beginning to end, and what is the timetable?
- Are there any expenses for which we will be responsible?